Tuesday, May 16, 2017

A500.3.3.RB_SharpJosh

Organizational Leadership as a System


For this post we're asked to "Think about the distinction between seeing the discipline of organizational leadership as a system of thinking versus seeing organizational leadership as a body of information. What would you say are the key differences between the two? How will this understanding change the way you approach your course work" (Nosich, 2012)?

When I think about the difference between a system and a body of knowledge, I think of the difference between learning math and spelling.  Math is a system of thought.  Numbers are related together using formulas and operations to better understand the world around us.  Spelling is, for the most part, rote memorization.  English is one particular example, due to its peculiar phonetics.  Perhaps linguists are able to consider or see language as more of a system of thought, which seems more like a natural talent or gift.

In relation to organizational leadership, if it is considered as a body of knowledge then one may be driven to memorize pithy quotes and collect mountains of advice.  If it is considered as a system of thought, then it can be explored as a way to make decisions and interact with people.  The latter seems like it would yield a more effective and genuine leader.  Even just these initial weeks have me putting more thought into the world around me and the people with which I interact.  As I mentally revisit previous courses and teachings, I am able to glean a bit more meaning from the lessons.  My hope is that this will carry me through to a deeper understanding and assimilation of the courses I take.  If only this course had been the first term of my Associate's rather than the first term of my Master's.

Reference

Nosich, G. (2012).  Learning to Think Things Through: A Guide to Critical Thinking Across the Curriculum (4th Edition). Pearson HE, Inc. Kindle Edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment