Tuesday, December 11, 2018

A633.4.4.RB_SharpJosh

Should the "Boss" Always Know the Answer?

The Harvard Management Update (2009) article on leading when you're not in charge, has five great tips.  One that I use pretty frequently is providing feedback.  I don't have direct subordinates at the moment.  When I did, I made sure to give praise publicly and provide constructive criticism privately.  Being specific and telling a mechanic how their efforts contributed to the overall mission can have the dual effect of boosting morale and providing reinforcement of desired efforts.  When used with peers, I point out how their efforts have helped both our team and the organization overall.  In the long term, this results in being consulted on future efforts and a higher degree of collaboration on other endeavors.  I also provide feedback to my bosses.  After a series of meetings, I noticed that my boss made frequent references to how things were done at his previous organization.  When I had a chance, I mentioned to him that I noticed he makes the references, a lot.  He hadn't realized, it was a blind spot for him that was damaging his credibility.  He thanked me for the feedback and was genuinely appreciative of my bringing it to his attention.

I operate in a space within my organization that provides limited positional authority.  So, I utilize my rapport with individuals and reputation as a subject matter expert to exert leadership.  It results in my being used as a proofreader, a sounding board, and a collaborator.  This also enables me to have the "uncomfortable" conversations with people and attempt to disrupt the unproductive status quo.  Ultimately, the boss doesn't need to always know the answer.  Getting the right people in the room, and sometimes the wrong people, is what adaptive leaders do to get to the solutions their organizations need.

Reference

How to Lead When You’re Not the Boss. (2009). Harvard Management Update14(3), 1–2. Retrieved from https://search-ebscohost-com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bth&AN=36826490&site=ehost-live

No comments:

Post a Comment