Reflecting on what I think made the leaders transformative, I also consider the role I played in their ability to be transformative. In circumstances where I was happy in my job and interested in learning more skills I was more receptive to being led in such a transformative way. I also responded to transactional leadership, especially early in my career. One of the most valuable things a military leader can give their people is time off. Being cut loose early on a Friday was an amazing feeling. Even my negative examples could turn that exercise into something I would dread. Was I sent home because I did something wrong? Or was it because I did something well? The goal posts were always moving. So, I never knew where I stood.
Ultimately, my experiences have made me the leader that I am today. I try to set a positive example, while also providing clear direction and expectations. When performance is sub-par I provide timely feedback and explore the possibilities that all of the subordinate's needs aren't being met. While I wish I could have gone through my career without the trauma of the negative examples, I'm grateful for where I am today.
Reference
Northouse, P. (2018). Leadership: Theory and Practice 8th ed. SAGE Publications. Kindle Edition.
No comments:
Post a Comment